The Presidents of the USA
Herbert Clark Hoover
West Branch, IA
The Great Depression
Secretary of Commerce
key background fact:
Successful Secretary of Commerce under Harding and Coolidge
Society of Friends (Quaker)
"In America today, we are nearer a final triumph over poverty than is any other land."
actions & events
- 1932 Reconstruction Finance Corporation to provide business loans.
- 1932 The "Bonus Army" incident. Veterans were killed.
- 1929 Stock Market Crash
- The Great Depression
- 1930 Smoot-Hawley Tariff; high tariffs to protect US business.
- 1932 Stimson Doctrine: US would not recognize results of aggression.
- 1929-37 Mexican Repatriation: 500,000 Mexicans back to Mexico.
- His vice, Charles Curtis, was the first Indian (and the only non-white) in this post.
- The first president to have a telephone right on his desk
A millionaire before 40. Spoke fluent Mandarin Chinese. Spoke Chinese to his wife to keep their stories private.
Organized relief efforts in Europe after both W.Wars.
A qualified executive who failed to provide effective leadership in the most severe crisis. He could not halt and manage the Great Depression. His beliefs did not allow him to take drastic steps.