The Presidents of the USA
Pope's Creek, VA
The first Senate, & House of Representatives. The first President
Father of His Country
key background fact:
The unanimous choice of the 69 electors for President
Plantation Owner, Soldier
Commander-in-Chief of the Continental Army in the Revolutionary War
Martha Dandridge Custis (1759)
"Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder"
actions & events
- 1791 Bill of Rights
- 1792 Post Office founded.
- 1792, 1796 Kentucky & Tennessee joined the Union
- 1794 Whiskey Rebellion over excise tax in PE.
- Hamilton established BUS
- 1792 Coinage Act
- 1792 New York Stock Exchange organized.
- 1791 Bank Act: banking system in place
- 1793 Neutrality in the France-Britain conflict
- 1795 Jay Treaty with Britain. British forces withdrew
- 1795 Pinkney's Treaty sets SW borders with Spain
- First President of the USA
- The only president to be elected unanimously by the electoral college.
- Never lived in Washington DC (was in Philadelphia)
He refused to run for a 3rd term.
On their wedding day, his wife gave him a miniature portrait of herself. He wore it on a chain around his neck until his death 40 years later.
He is universally regarded as one of the greatest figures in U.S. history.
“First in war, first in peace, and first in the hearts of his country”