The Presidents of the USA
Pro-business policies fueled a boom in the stock market…
Silent Cal, Cool Cal
none (1923-1925), Charles Dawes (1925-1929)
29th Vice President of USA
key background fact:
Vice President (1921-1923), replaced Harding who died in office
Grace Anna Goodhue (1905)
"Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery."
actions & events
- 1924 Immigration Act limits immigrants from South & East Europe
- 1924 Snyder Act-Indians get citizenship
- 1927 Mississippi flood
- "Roaring Twenties"-Rapid economic growth
- 1924 Revenue Act: lower income tax, higher estate tax
- "Laissez faire" - Minimal business regulation
- 1928 Kellogg-Briand Pact (renouncement of war)
- The only president born on the 4th of July.
- His inauguration was the first to be broadcast on radio
Renowned for his taciturnity. Shy and quiet, he was described as "as if he had been weaned on a pickle". He was sleeping 10 hours a day.
A competent administrator and a shrewd politician.Very popular in a period of rapid growth and prosperity but perhaps too complacent and inactive despite signs of a Depression.